Thursday, July 30, 2026

Finding the Inspiration To Be Creative

 Ironically you may have found my blog through TikTok, and if so, hi!!! TikTok is a place I venture to when I'm bored, need a break, or want to mindlessly scroll. It can be informative, fun, and creative, but also addictive. If you're like me and you're looking for some ways to become inspired for whatever reason, you've made it to the correct corner of the internet! I just finished my degree in English, with a concentration in writing, so I'm usually finding myself looking for ways to become inspired to write. A group of students and I all met with, in my opinion, one of the best professors at our university to discuss our plans after college, ways to keep writing, and other "nerdy" things. If you have a blog, I'm going to assume you enjoy writing at least to some extent, so I'll begin with staying inspired to write! 

Something that tends to always do the trick for me is looking at others' writing. Sometimes this is on TikTok, where I found some of the amazing blogs I follow now, and other times it's through reading. This works best when I'm really into or have just finished a book that is the same genre I want to write in. This also applies when I'm watching movies that follow characters with a similar lifestyle that I want. For me, it is Andie Anderson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. If you're a law student or pursuing law school, your inspiration may be Elle Woods in Legally Blonde. Or, if you're me in an alternate dimension, your inspiration is A.J. Cook in Criminal Minds. Sort of like manifestation, you have to envision yourself with the life you want! P.S. if the writers out there want to create a writing chat, let me know! =)

If your hobbies are less mental and more physical, like baking, painting, or DIY-ing, try Pinterest! I use Pinterest to plan my life (literally, try collaging!!) and it contains endless ideas for hobbies. The majority of the time, when I lack the energy or funds to start something I see on Pinterest, I still create a board. While this is still considered "screen-time" I find that it leaves me feeling more fulfilled and helps me to be more creative in the future. What I love the most is centering an idea around an event or upcoming action. For example, I'm going to Disney World in a couple weeks, so I planned my outfits, bucketlist, and to-try foods on Pinterest. Some of those ideas I found on the site, but others I found on TikTok or Instagram. The moral of the story is, rather than using social media to be mindless, use it to your advantage to be MORE creative! 

The art of doing nothing: my favorite pastime. The art of doing nothing is essentially leaving yourself alone with your thoughts while doing something that requires no thoughts. I first heard this on the Lucky Girl Podcast when I began going on walks through my neighborhood. The art of doing nothing, for me, is most effective in a location that you are new to, such as a hiking trail or a cafe. Being unplugged in a new place allows your mind to ponder and explore things that you wouldn't if you were swiping through reels. I often find inspiration when doing this, especially when I start to think of a new plot or character for a novel! 

GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE! To find inspiration you do not have to be extreme, but you should try something new! And for my anxiety girlies, it does not have to be scary. One helpful tip I use when doing something new to me is "do it for fun"! Pull back and realize we live on a floating rock in the middle of space and time is limited. This applies for absolutely everything: job interviews, traveling, meeting someone new, trying new foods, taking a test, applying for something, etc. Just have FUN! Getting out of your comfort zone means something different for everyone, so take it step by step. This could mean reading a book in a genre you usually don't, going places alone, or even listening to a new song! Think of your best friends, what makes them "them"? Is it something you think of when you think of yourself? If not, then do it! Be whoever you want for the day, go as far as creating an alter-ego for your days of getting out of your comfort zone! 

And for my final tip: pour into your own cup. You can't be creative if you aren't fulfilled. If something just isn't working out, it is okay to start over. Don't like your job? Find a new one! Feeling stuck? It's okay, we all are! The best thing about being uncomfortable is that a new beginning is coming. Do the things you love with the people you love, but also the things you're scared of. Take each day slowly, doing what you want to when you want to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Laugh Love the Library

 Exciting news!! Today I visited my local library and signed up for my first ever library card! Libraries are absolutely amazing and they ha...